If you visit any restaurant in Goa and plan on having fish based starters, you will not only come across a wide variety of fish but you also get the choice to select your favorite gravy. Sea food is widely prepared in many styles for example rava (semolina) fry, masala fry, butter garlic and also using recheado masala. All these are authentic goan styles and they are mouthwatering, but the sad part is you won’t find sea food prepared in these styles anywhere else. Even Konkan area (also famous for its variety in sea food) doesn’t serve you these goan preparations.
So I decided to try all these fish recipes at home especially the butter garlic style. I found few recipes on internet but after analyzing and linking the taste with the one that I had in Goa, I was not satisfied at all. Few of them had ingredients that didn’t fit in my family ethics, like one recipe required adding white wine in the preparation which is not acceptable in my family.
Finally I started experiments with the preparation on the basis of my taste and my experience. After few initial failures I finally tasted the delicious prawns butter garlic. I jotted down the ingredients and exact method to prepare it and no wonder each time I got the same delicious taste. This inspired me to publish my first blog.
Prawns butter garlic is a simple delicacy which requires common and easily available ingredients. The beauty of it is it can be prepared at the 11th hour. This savory can be served as a starter, side dish or the way you like it.
Prawns Butter Garlic
- Prawns 300 grams/2 to 3 cups (shells removed and cleaned)
- Garlic 25-30 petals approximately (finely chopped)
- Maida or common flour 4-5 tsp
- Butter 4 to 5 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oregano 1 tsp
- Fresh Cream 3 to 4 tbsp (optional)
- We will start by taking butter in a pan and wait till it melts.
- Now we will add garlic and sauté it. Don’t sauté garlic for too long time as it will turn brown and can spoil the taste.
- Once we smell the aroma of garlic we will add prawns and sauté them.
- We will proceed by adding maida and mixing it properly while stirring continuously. See to it that no lumps are formed. If any lumps are formed just add a little butter.
- To give it a nice creamy taste, we will add fresh cream. If you are very calorie conscious, then you can quit the option of adding fresh cream. It won’t make any significant difference in the taste.
- Now add salt and mix it.
- We will let the prawns cook for few minutes.
- Once done, sprinkle oregano on the top and serve hot.
This recipe when prepared with love will give you the same taste as we get in Goa. Enjoy it and do comment your valuable feedback. Thank You!!!